Thursday, April 12, 2012

Design Expo

     The competition at the design expo was pretty exciting! And we're pretty happy with how we did.

    We tied our first match, against 'The Molemen,' with one ping pong ball each. They were seeded 15 spots above us, but, with its massive bulk, our machine really got in their way. Click here for the video. Both teams moved on.

     Our opponent in our second match was 'Your Ad Here.' This time, our machine wasn't very mobile, having a hard time with one of its wheels, and it kind of got in its own way, but our opponent's car seemed to stop working partway through. You can see in the video how our car rolls easily in and out of the holes.

     It's hard to keep track of everything in the video of our last match. Our machine had its best performance yet, scoring a number of ping-pong balls, even after it actually loses a wheel by the tower! We didn't even notice for most of the match. However, we were no match for the impressive number 1 seed 'Aquatone,' which scored a number of much heavier squash balls.


     Can you see Balls of Fury there in the top 8?

inches from "WINNER!"

     So we're pretty happy. Just look at Selman's face:
                                          (^Very funny Ester)
                                          (^how can you spell my name wrong - it's right there)

left to right: Connor (our GSI), Dan,  Carlea, Esther, Selman

Team Video

video

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Putting the Car Together












End. In. Sight.

 
     Ms. Fury is looking pretty today. It's the morning of the final inspection and seeding for the competition. 


     We completed the final finishing touches last night. In particular, you might notice the lovely paint job: hot-rod style flames and a lovely fiery team logo.


     The fence was 0.05" too wide to fit into the car. Since some of the screw heads broke off, we needed to bandsaw the fence into 4 components, end mill the edges, and then drill and tap new holes to keep it together. We also applied some finishing touches with the file.

     The modules and motors seem to all be in order. We are a little worried about a few things, but, whatever happens, this project will be done very soon, and it really is amazing to see what was so recently just a design on a computer actually realized. By us.